Are you eating enough? Exercising enough? Sleeping enough?
During staff planning this summer at our school, one teacher shared a story about how his father would always ask the same set of questions when his father thought he needed help, “Are you eating enough? Exercising enough? Sleeping enough?” After sharing this story, the teacher said something that stuck with me. “This takes care of 60% of our problems. We have each other for the other 40%.” So much of what we do in life depends on our overall well being. I have lots more to say on that topic but THIS blog about our 1-year challenge, so I'll stop there.
One month in, and it's going well. Micah is recovering from his knee surgery. Micah has missed two weeks of working out (six total) due to the surgery. I've missed one day so far. The chart we're keeping has been a motivator for me. Knowing it's posted publicly and all our followers (Aiden) see it, also helps keep me honest. But I think the biggest motivator so far is that I'm able to do this with my son. And at his age, 75% of his workout builds muscle and 25% maintains it. It's the opposite for me. So if I want to get close to sticking with him, I've got to put the work in :-)